Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Not my cup of... soup

Tonight was another journey into the unknown... McAlister's Deli at North Hills.

The only think that sounded interesting at all (in a good way I mean-- Cheese Bisque was also... otherwise... intriguing) was Chicken and Dumplings, but in this case it turned out to be the southern stew rather than a soup.

That qualifies under the terms of my challenge, but not so much so to my tastes.

It is thick floury noodles with chunks of chicken in chicken gravy. I liked Campbell's Chicken and Dumpling Soup much better, but it's a matter of individual tastes I'm sure. If your Grandma made you chicken and dumplings for Sunday dinner while you were growing up, I'm sure this would have been a little bowl of heaven. But not for me.

I also think it's a nutritional wasteland-- except for some protein from the chicken. I'll give it one spoon for the protein and that's it. I understand you might give it comfort points, but that's always been the case with each and every soup. This one is just not my cuppa.


Tomorrow we'll try some exotic tomato soups my sister found in Jacksonville-- probably for a snack long after turkey. I've been told I'm not allowed to make turkey soup-- my mother apparently has other plans for the leftovers, but we shall see.



When my parents lived in Texas and I made my own little Thanksgiving for just the three of us, I always made soup from the carcass. Or at least stock. And we always got tired of it before we ate it all.

Maybe I'll just steal a little something to make a few bowls while she's not looking.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment