Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The show... and the soup... must go on!


Emma's play opens tomorrow and she was suffering from some related anxiety, so I took her out by herself for dinner at Red Robin. She had one of their famous burgers and I had a cup of french onion soup. And it was good. Too good. Cheesy good.
The broth was nice and beefy and full of sweet onions. A solid layer of melted cheese was suspended on a dense crouton. It's such a rich and flavorful soup, the cup is the perfect size.

I had my favorite raspberry limeade, but suddenly the restaurant was freezing, so ended up with a coffee as well.

Red Robin now serves cupcakes! We shared a "Freckled" Strawberry Lemonade cupcake. It was a nice treat. They also have vanilla and chocolate.

I can't get their nifty online nutrition tool to work on my mini laptop, but Livestrong.com lists the cup portion of this soup as having 188 calories, 8 grams of fat, 8 grams of protein, 15 of carbs... which all sounds good. And then it says 0 mg of sodium, which says to me that it's too high to admit to :). I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

So I'd give it 4 spoons for comfort-- the cup size keeps the guilt away. I like that the cheese brings some protein to the party, but I'm certain there's too much salt to give it spoons for that-- this is salty soup and soup is already salty food. So zero spoons for nutrition.

I paid $2.99 for this cup of soup. The cupcake was $1.99 and on the small side-- we should have gotten two. But the company was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment