Sunday, November 21, 2010

Tale of Two Chilis

My mother made chili tonight and I couldn't help but compare it to Ron's. They're both good chili, but completely different.

My mother uses a McCormick's Chili Seasoning packet. The first ingredient listed is chili pepper. I think it must be smoked chili pepper because the chili ends up with a distinctly smoky flavor. Or maybe there's smoked paprika in there.

It's also a thicker chili than Ron's-- probably because of the liquid that comes along with the jarred peppers he uses. Otherwise, the ingredients are similar-- ground beef, canned tomatoes, canned kidney beans.

Her sweet peppers (red and green) and onion are diced much finer-- but then I make him cut his the way he does :).

To me, my mother's chili tastes like my childhood and the Midwest. 8 spoons.

I need to find something completely different next week. I can't believe there's only nine days left.

No comments:

Post a Comment